Wednesday 5 October 2011

the elusive 'real women'

I am a quite thin, average height young woman.
Yet if I am to believe the media portrayal of what a woman is, that would make me merely just a woman, not a 'real' woman.
The media seem to float around this whole image that only larger women are in fact 'real women'. I agree this is to make larger women feel better about themselves, or at least that was presumably the original goal of the term. So to qualify to truly be a women, I must gain a lot of weight it seems.


Bollocks! Why, as long as I can remember through my own experiences, is it OK to better the feelings of the larger ladies, only at the expense of the thin? In reality, I cannot gain weight. I can eat and eat and eat, anything and everything, and I assure you all, I will not gain  weight. People complain that the portrayal is wrong, thin people are everywhere in the media, in magazines, on posters, blah blah blah. They believe they should show larger women, to boost their self esteem, to make them feel desirable too.


So at the expense of people like myself, Women who are heavier get the great compliment of truly being deemed a woman.


All I am stating, is that certain people feel the need to declare 'real women' to make them feel great about themselves, and let's face it, in some way to feel superior to the thin, (i.e media desire). They do this to boost peoples confidence who they feel is being lost, and one thing they do achieve is to tear down someone else. It is not a thin persons fault that they are personified as ultimately attractive within certain outlets, so why should they then be made to feel as though they are not a true woman, be left out of the brackets of description as a real woman.


I am all for bringing up self confidence in women, everyone is beautiful in their own right. But anyone who complains about the thin being beautiful in media eyes, and then calls a larger woman a real woman, is a pot calling a kettle black.Why should I be made to feel as though I am not a real woman because I do not have ample curves? And sometimes, it should be left to the person themselves to work on themselves if they need to see the good in how they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment